Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Results

19 Weeks 2 Days

I got a call today asking if they could reschedule our appointment with the genetic counselor until tomorrow when the doctor could see us as well. I took this as a bad sign and asked if the results were in. AFP was low, UE3 was low, DIA was high and HCG was high (all slightly outside of normal). She transferred me to the genetic counselor who said that I have a less than 1% risk of Trisomy 18, however I had an abnormal result for Downs Syndrome (Trisomy 21). The blood tests alone show a risk of 1:75 (anything below 1:270 is normal). However, with the ultrasound findings my risk is higher.

Thanks to getting to know Anna and her family, Down Syndrome scares me much less than it would have last year and FAR less than Trisomy 18 does, but it is still scary to think about raising a special needs child.

The good news is that T21 babies have far fewer health than babies with T18, but that means that without amnio, there are fewer comforting results we will get from other tests.

We still ask for prayer for a healthy baby. There is still a chance he has Trisomy 18 and of course every parent wants to have a child free from health problems!

No comments:

Post a Comment