Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Good OB Appointment

20 Weeks 2 Days

My OB appointment went as well as it could have today. I really appreciate the time she took to just talk with me.
It sounds like their practice does not do abortions at all (they will make referrals) and it sounds like late term abortions still need to be done in states where it is legal. It makes me feel better that they will not "just do them".
She said that she thought my options could have been explained in a better way than they were, but also explained that the longer a woman is pregnant (in any pregnancy) the more chance a woman has of dying from being pregnant and that is why in a pregnancy without a good outcome termination is encouraged. They would rather have a mother home and alive with her living children than dead. She said that every patient is different though. I told her that I don't think I could live with myself knowing that I willing allowed the life of my baby to stop.
She also told some stories of times where she was around when the baby was taken to save the mom. In one case she had to do a C-section after the birth of a baby with T18 and she said she cried the whole time. I really feel like I am in good hands when the doctors do not seem to take termination lightly.

I also talked to her about the fact that the high risk office really doesn't seem to be doing anything targeted at my auto immune disease. She told me that she would do more research on the condition, write up a treatment plan and ask the high risk practice if there is anything that they feel she needs to add and she would manage it from here on out. That means no more $1500 bills for an ultrasound and 10 minutes with the doctor. (I am still waiting for my bill for when she told me I had T18. They probably charge more when the patient cries).

Aside from all of that junk, the pregnancy seems to be going really well. My belly is the right size and his heartbeat is 140.

We need to keep praying for a 100% textbook perfect heart scan on Nov 22 and NO more complications or "soft signs". We won't know if the baby has downs syndrome until we meet him at the end of March, so we are still praying that he (or she) is 100% healthy and free of extra chromosomes.

I do appreciate all of your prayers so far. I am extremely at peace about everything (which is weird because I am an expert worry wart). I am confident that if we do have a special needs baby that God will use him in powerful ways. However, I also have a feeling of peace that our baby will be fine and free of extra chromosomes. I am scared to believe/claim it because I am scared of being let down, but I really do feel like God is telling me he will be healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment