Thursday, August 2, 2012

I love you....

22 Weeks, 3 Days

...... is what slipped out of my mouth after Adalines OT appointment when the OT asked if I had anything else... It was a bit awkward, but I think she understood why I said it.

I have been begging for months for help on Adaline's feeding. Some people seemed sympathetic, but didn't have any solutions to offer. Then there was the feeding tube suggestion, but I knew there had to be something less invasive that we could do. Others said she couldn't eat due to low tone, or low O2 from her heart condition, because she has reflux or because she doesn't empty her bowels often, but none of those seemed to make sense to me for Adaline. I asked a few professionals about speech therapy or may be private OT therapy, but they dismissed it as unhelpful. I wish I would have pushed harder.....

The OT immediately noticed why Adaline only eats when she sleeps and why things have seemed to be getting worse with her.... Most babies suck about 10 times, then breath. Adaline sucks about 20 times, then freaks out because she isn't getting air and latches off. This is also why she leaks, it has nothing to do with her tone or strength, she is just trying to breathe while she eats. The solution isn't easy, but we can re-train her to eat well and work on gaining her trust that we are not trying to drown or suffocate her. I am so grateful that she still gives me smiles and seems to still love me after months of waterboarding her multiple times per day!

Praise God for answers and non-invasive solutions!

No comments:

Post a Comment