Sunday, May 13, 2012

Sensory Blanket

11 Weeks 6 Days

Adaline's therapists have been suggesting that I cut up pieces of fabric with different textures for Adaline to hold. I get the getting her to grip different things, but I don't understand why "sensory" is so important. When I would look at blogs for ideas for things to do with Jamin, I see things to put in "sensory" bins and have always dismissed them as boring or unnecessary. However, the experts know best. I was worried that with Jamin around little scraps of material would get everywhere, so I decided to make something to hold them together.

So... I made a quilt. Adaline's great grandma was kind enough to let me raid her fabric stash for various fabric textures. I used black and white fuzzy dot material for the center and a primary color backing since I had that material on hand. I decided to tie it on the back so that the ties would to distract from the textures on the edges. I had planned to either tie the strings in a bow or trim them short, but as I was working on it, I set Adaline down and she seemed to really like holding on to the ribbons, so for now the back is quite shaggy. I was worried about the ties looking good on both sides, but you can barely see them on the front, so it all worked out. Hopefully Adaline's OT that is coming tomorrow will be impressed.

Does anyone want to explain why "sensory" is THAT important?

No comments:

Post a Comment